If you didn’t know already, it’s #NationalOrgasmDay today! While many of us experience orgasms there are a whole bunch of us who are surprisingly lacking when it comes to knowing interesting facts about them, so we’ve devised a list for you…
- In the time it takes to read this sentence, an estimated 250,000 people worldwide will have an orgasm.
- The average female orgasm lasts around 6 to 10 seconds – although for some it can last up to 20 seconds.
- 47% of women have their first orgasm through masturbation.
- Some women can orgasms from nipple stimulation alone.
- On average, it takes about 4 minutes for men to reach orgasm and about 10-20 minutes for women.
- Most women need direct clitoral stimulation in order to orgasm (around 70%).
- The clitoris has a whole lot of nerve endings – approximately 8,000!
- Orgasms may boost our immune systems, due to the endorphins they produce
Sources: Bustle; Cosmopolitan; Huff Post; Lehmiller; Masters & Johnson; Daily Mail